Purpose: The purpose of the Academy is to provide you with the foundational knowledge and skills that will help you succeed in your Learning Support and College courses.
Placement: Your ACT or COMPASS score determined your need for the Academy. Because of your scores, we recommend that you register for one or more Academy classes. These scores are as follows:
- ACT Reading, Writing scores of 1-12
- COMPASS Math score of 1-60
- COMPASS Reading score of 1-60
- COMPASS Writing score of 1-35
ADMISSIONS POLICY FOR THE ACADEMY
Admission to the Academy is granted to accepted applicants to Jackson State and to potential applicants who meet the requirements for regular admission.
- Official transcript from high school
- GED recipients must provide an official diploma or test scores.
- Graduates of non-public high schools (including private schools, home schools, and church-related schools) must submit an official transcript showing credits earned and date of graduation.
- Official transcripts for home schooled students must be an official copy from an affiliated organization as defined by state law (TN Code Annotated 49-50-801) or be accompanied by certification of registration with the superintendent of the local education agency which the students would otherwise attend. Students unable to provide a satisfactory secondary school credential may substitute acceptable GED scores.
Registration and Payment:
- Register in the Academic Assistance Center (2nd floor of Library) or in the Registration Center
- Pay in the Business Office in the Administration Building, or
- Pay by calling (731) 425-2627.
$35 for Reading or Writing, which will include the software. Upon successfully completing the class, which will include meeting an attendance requirment, students will pay $5 to take an exit exam.
$40 for Reading and Writing if registration occurs simultaneously for both and if the courses are taken concurrently. The fee includes the software. Upon successfully completing the classes, which will include meeting an attendance requirement, students will pay $5 for each exit exam.
- Headphones, which will be needed for every lab session
- Paper and pen or pencil
Length of the Academy: Up to 45 hours to be taken in 4 week sessions for Reading and Writing.
June Schedule at the Jackson campus:
|Reading||June 1 - 25||Mon-Thurs||9:00-12:00||C233|
|Writing||June 1 - 25||Mon-Thurs||9:00-12:00||C235|
|Writing||June 1 - 25||Mon-Thurs||1:00-4:00||C235|
July Schedule at the Jackson campus:
|Reading||July 6 - 30||Mon-Thurs||1:00-4:00||C233|
|Writing||July 6 - 30||Mon-Thurs||9:00-1:00||C235|
|Writing||July 6 - 30||Mon-Thurs||1:00-4:00||C235|
Fall Schedule at the Jackson campus:
|Reading||Sept 14- Oct 29|
|Writing||Sept 14- Oct 29|
Schedules at the Centers: Please check with the office at the Center you attend. Their schedules will be posted on this page as soon as possible.