Purpose: The purpose of the Academy is to provide you with the foundational knowledge and skills that will help you succeed in your Learning Support and College courses.
Placement: Your ACT or COMPASS score determined your placement into the Academy. You have been placed into one or more Academy subjects according to your scores. Theses scores are as follows:
- ACT Math, Reading, Writing scores of 1-12
- COMPASS Math score of 1-16
- COMPASS Reading score of 1-60
- COMPASS Writing score of 1-35
ADMISSIONS POLICY FOR THE ACADEMY
Admission to the Academy is granted to accepted applicants to Jackson State and to potential applicants who meet the requirements for regular admission.
- High school graduates must have earned regular diplomas.
- Students who earn Special Education diplomas or Certificates of Attendance are not admissible to the Academy. We recommend Jackson State’s Continuing Education courses instead.
- GED recipients must provide an official diploma or test scores.
- Graduates of non-public high schools (including private schools, home schools, and church-related schools) must submit an official transcript showing credits earned and date of graduation.
- Official transcripts for home schooled students must be an official copy from an affiliated organization as defined by state law (TN Code Annotated 49-50-801) or be accompanied by certification of registration with the superintendent of the local education agency which the students would otherwise attend. Students unable to provide a satisfactory secondary school credential may substitute acceptable GED scores.
Answers to Questions: Contact Laura Wells at 425-2614 or firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Mary Jane Bassett at 425-2614 or email@example.com.
Registration and Payment: Financial Assistance Form
- Register in the Registration Center in the Student Union
- Pay in the Business Office in the Administration Building, or
- Pay by calling (731) 425-2627.
Cost: (Under certain circumstances, financial assistance may be available for Academy reading and writing when it is the first attempt in a subject. If assistance is needed, fill in the form above and attach it to your registration form, which can be obtained in the Registration Center or the Academic Assistance Center.)
$135 for Reading or Writing, which will include the software and the exit Compass test.
$240 for Reading and Writing if registration occurs simultaneously for both and if the courses are taken concurrently. The fee includes the software and the exit Compass test.
$45 for Math. The fee does not cover the cost of the LSM 0891 software and workbook package, which must be purchased in the JSCC bookstore.
**Federal and State Financial Aid are not available for the Academy programs.
- Headphones, which will be needed for every lab session
- Paper and pen or pencil
- For math: Learning Support Math 0891 software/workbook package
Length of the Academy: Up to 45 hours to be taken in 3 to 12 week sessions for Reading, Writing, and Math.
Summer Schedule at the Jackson Campus:
|July 7-Aug. 6||MTWR||9:00-11:30||C233|
|July 7-Aug. 6||MTWR||9:00-11:30||C235|
|July 7-Aug. 6||MTWR||12:30-3:00||C235|
Fall Schedule at the Jackson campus:
Please note that except for two of the Math classes, Academy classes start later than other classes.
|Sept 8-Nov 17||Mon&Wed||10:00-12:30||C233|
|Sept 9-Nov 18||Tues&Th||9:30-12:00||C233|
|Sept 9-Nov 18||Tues&Th||1:00-3:30||C233|
|Sept 8-Nov 17||Mon&Wed||10:00-12:30||C235|
|Sept 8-Nov 17||Mon&Wed||1:00-3:30||C235|
|Sept 9-Nov 18||Tues&Th||9:30-12:00||C235|
|Sept 9-Nov 18||Tues&Th||5:30-8:00||C235|
|Sept 6-Dec 6||Sat||9:00-12:00||C235|
|Aug 25-Sept 8||MW||2:00-3:15 by permission/ See Mrs. Bassett||C126B|
|Aug 26-Sept 4||TR||
2:00-3:15 by permission/ See Mrs. Bassett 2nd floor of Library
|Sept 9-Nov 11||TR||12:00-1:15||C234|
Summer and Fall 2014 Schedules at the Centers: Please check with the office at the Center you attend. Their schedules will be posted on this page as soon as possible.
Schedule at the Lexington Campus
|READING & WRITING|
|June 16-July 17||Mon-Thurs||10:00-12:15|
Schedule at the Savannah Campus
COMPASS test is required after Academy Reading and Writing completion as an exit test.
Requirements to Register for Next Classes in Sequence:
- Take the COMPASS exit test in the subject(s) for which you were required to take the Academy. Score at least 61 in reading and 36 in writing.
- Pass module posttests in math.
Questions? Contact the Academic Assistance Center staff at (731) 425-2614.